Please watch this awesome short video by Ken Hartman, a freelance writer and author and the Advocacy Coordinator for the Transformative In-Prison Workgroup (TPW.)
If you want to help this project get off the ground, please tweet and retweet. You can use the hashtag #FriendsWantFriendsSafe.
If you are formerly incarcerated and want to help even more, please send me a short video you can film on your phone–make it shorter than a minute, so someone inside might be able to watch it quickly–in which you address the folks you know and care about inside. Be sure that your video includes:
- a bit of info about yourself: your name, anything you’d like to share, where you were incarcerated, and when you were released
- why you care about COVID-19 in prison: your worries and fears about your friends getting seriously sick
- explicitly state that you plan to take the vaccine when it is offered to you, and why
- encourage your friends to do the same when the vaccine is offered to them
- express compassion and empathy for the concerns and uncertainty they may have and counter it with solid facts and with your love for them
Email me your video to aviramh at uchastings dot edu. I will display it prominently, with a little intro about the specific facility where you know people, here on the blog.